There are several advantages to wearing Yoga pants that fit you amazingly. From providing light compression for increased blood flow to unrestricted movement to unparalleled comfort and versatility, etc.
But after some time, your Yoga pants may lose elasticity and become poorly fitting or you may need to shrink your Yoga pants for various reasons, such as weight loss, fabric stretching, or the fact that they were initially too long or extensive. But how can you shrink your Lululemon/Victoria’s Secret Yoga pants anyway?
This article will teach you how to shrink Yoga pants and restore them to their original form before substituting them with new ones and how to care for them to ensure their elasticity.
- Discover some golden homemade techniques on how to shrink Yoga pants
- Learn how to shrink Lululemon Yoga pants to their original fit
- What to do if your Yoga pants are too long? How to fix it?
- Read these Step-by-Step Guidelines for Shrinking Yoga Pants Based on Fabric
- Why Should You Avoid Trying to Shrink Yoga Pants?
- Some Important Tips for Keeping Your Yoga Pants Tight for a Long Time
- 1. Avoid Using Fabric Conditioners
- 2. Use an Active Wash Sports Detergent
- 3. Wash your Yoga Pants as Frequently as your Underwear
- 4. It’s best to use a cool wash cycle and avoid hot water
- 5. Prevent letting them from getting tangled up in the washing machine
- 6. Wash and dry them in a mesh bag
- 7. Avoid hanging your Yoga Pants to dry
- 8. Wash Them Separately
- 9. Wash After Wear
- 10. Remove the Yoga pants from your bag or car
- 11. Follow the care label
- 12. Wash from the inside out
- 13. Avoid using the dryer at all costs (Even Medium Heat)
- When to replace your Yoga pants? Alternative solutions for baggy Yoga pants
- Frequently Asked Questions
Discover some golden homemade techniques on how to shrink Yoga pants
Water and high heat are two critical components needed to cause Yoga pants to shrink.
You must check the care label on your Yoga pants to determine the fabric composition before shrinking them. This will ensure that you shrink them correctly.
Different fabrics are used to make different types of workout Yoga pants. There are several kinds of tights. Nylon, polyester, and spandex are all used in various varieties. Each of these materials has unique characteristics. The type of fiber used determines how much shrinking occurs. Discover the proper method for shrinking your fav pair of Lululemon Yoga pants without damaging the fabric.
Regardless of the fabric, there are only three fundamental techniques to shrink Yoga pants. These are mentioned below:
1. Use the No-Washing Technique
Hot water and a hairdryer are required for shrinking Yoga pants without washing them.
Steps to follow:
- Yoga pants should be laid flat on a clean surface.
- Use hot water to dampen the Yoga pants’ desired shrinkage areas. Using a spray bottle will make doing this more straightforward.
- The hair dryer should be turned on and set to its highest temperature. Yoga pants should be dried until you get the desired fit.
2. Use the Washing Technique
Yoga pants can be shrunk using the wash technique, which involves using the dryer and washing machine.
Steps to follow:
- A hot wash and rinse cycle should be selected for the washing machine to clean any dirty Yoga pants effectively.
- Adding detergent will help remove any dirt and grime while avoiding the use of a fabric conditioner will help preserve the fabric’s elasticity and color.
- Additionally, it is recommended to use a gentle cycle for delicate items.
- Place the Yoga pants through a single cycle of washing, rinsing, and drying in the washing machine.
- Check the Yoga pants when the cycle is finished. Repeat the cycle until the desired shrinkage is achieved if they are still loose.
3. Use the Iron Technique
The iron technique is an effective one to go for if your Yoga pants aren’t too loose but could still use a little shrinking.
Steps to follow:
- On an ironing board, lay out the Yoga pants flat. Spray the areas you need to shrink.
- Leave the Yoga pants to soak in hot water for five to ten minutes.
- The iron should be set at its highest temperature. You may shrink the part by ironing it.
- It should be laid out on a flat surface for air drying.
4. Use the Boiling Water Technique
Some Yoga pants are pre-shrunk, particularly cotton-based ones. Pre-shrinking fabric is made to minimize additional shrinking during consecutive washes. With that in mind, washing and drying pre-shrunk Yoga pants probably won’t cause them to shrink significantly. You’ll need to use more hot water to relax the fibers initially.
Steps to follow:
- Place the Yoga pants in a saucepan with enough water and soak them.
- Turn the stove to high heat and place the saucepan on it.
- The Yoga pants should be submerged for 3 minutes after boiling the water. To prevent damage, remember never to leave them on it for longer.
- Pull the Yoga pants out of the boiling water using tongs.
- After that, put them in the washer and pour hot water over them.
- Remember to check them frequently when drying them at high heat.
- Repeat the technique if the Yoga pants have yet to shrink sufficiently after drying.
5. Do you want to know how to Tighten the Waistband on your Yoga pants?
You might try shrinking your Yoga pants using the iron or hair dryer approach, as mentioned above if all that has to be tightened up is the waistline. However, you might need to adjust your Yoga pants if some of them still don’t shrink or if the waistbands on all of them are too wide.
- You’ll need some additional elastic for this, which you can get from a craft store. You may choose the elastic’s width.
- After that, flip your Yoga pants inside out and make a little hole at the front of the waistband.
- Be cautious not to cut through the entire waistband; only the part of the fabric against your waist should be cut through.
- Cut the elastic to the appropriate size after measuring it around your waist.
- A safety pin should be fitted into one edge of the elastic; the larger the pin, the better.
- The elastic’s safety-pinned end should be inserted through the Yoga pants’ waistband, worked completely around, and pulled out the other end.
- Put on the Yoga pants, make the necessary adjustments, and knot the elastic for a better fitting.
- The extra elastic may be cut off or tucked under the waistband.
*Note: Do not apply this approach if the Yoga pants have a seam at the backside of the waistband.
Learn how to shrink Lululemon Yoga pants to their original fit
Since Lululemon Yoga pants are all pre-shrunk, they may shrink very little, if at all. Because of this, it’s possible that when they are washed in hot water and dried in high heat, they shrink by up to 2%.
The boiling water approach mentioned earlier can be used if you want them to shrink slightly.
*Caution: You should exercise caution to avoid over-shrinking them, mainly because you almost certainly spent a lot on them.
What to do if your Yoga pants are too long? How to fix it?
Some Yoga pants come in different lengths, but most don’t. It can be hard to shorten Yoga pants that are too long by shrinking them, especially without shrinking the rest of the Yoga pants too. You have three options for fixing too-long Yoga pants that are too long.
- If you have sewing experience, the easiest way to fix Yoga pants that are too long is just to hem them. Just roll up the ankles until the Yoga pants are the desired length and sew them, ensuring that they stay that way permanently. Or else, you can take your Yoga pants to a tailor or sew them to them. This is an excellent choice if you need more time, resources, or expertise to do it yourself.
- Another way is to pull up the Yoga pants about 2 inches, then fold the excess fabric down until you have a smooth look around the ankles or even around your calf if you want a cropped look. Note that neither of these fixes is permanent, and you must do it every time you put the Yoga pants on.
Read these Step-by-Step Guidelines for Shrinking Yoga Pants Based on Fabric
The shrinking techniques, as mentioned earlier, might not be effective for you, mainly if the fabric of your Yoga pants is unique.
Here are some methods you may use to make the fabric of your Yoga pants shrink just as you like.
1. For Shrinking Nylon Yoga Pants
It requires a washing machine and ammonia to shrink nylon Yoga pants. Aside from shrinking your Yoga pants, the ammonia will help prevent the color from fading.
Steps to do it:
- The washing machine should be set to the maximum heat setting.
- Then, apply ammonia and wash your Yoga pants.
- The washing machine should be set to tumble dry on a medium setting after the wash cycle is complete.
- Once finished, place the Yoga pants on a clean flat surface and let them air dry.
2. For Shrinking Polyester/Spandex Yoga Pants
To shrink Yoga pants made of spandex and polyester is simple. You can use any of the three approaches mentioned above.
Follow these steps to do it:
- Use a detergent specifically designed for compression leggings or activewear if you choose to hand-wash or machine-wash the Yoga pants.
- Never use a detergent with a fabric conditioner, as this can damage the fabric.
- Once done, allow the Yoga pants to air-dry on a flat surface.
- Do not hang them, as this will loosen the fabric and cause them to stretch out. Use a drying rack or lay them flat on a towel for best results.
3. For Shrinking Lycra Yoga Pants
Lycra is a popular fabric for Yoga pants due to its breathability and moisture-wicking properties. However, it can lose its tightness quickly, often blending with other fabrics such as cotton, nylon, or polyester.
Remember that to shrink Lycra Yoga pants; the best method depends on the other material it is blended with.
Steps to do it:
- If the Lycra is blended with cotton, the best way to shrink it is to hot-wash it for the most extended cycle, whether using the washing machine or not.
- Then, add an extra ten or more minutes to the cycle.
- Once done, lay the Yoga pants flat on a clean surface and air dry. This will help to ensure that the Lycra Yoga pants shrink to the desired size.
Why Should You Avoid Trying to Shrink Yoga Pants?
If you’re looking to learn how to shrink your yoga pants, it’s important to note that using high heat won’t really get you the desired effect. In fact, it can do more harm than good. Boiling water and high heat can cause permanent damage to your yoga pants, including the following:
- Cotton Yoga Pants
- Lycra Yoga Pants
- Spandex Yoga Pants
- Nylon Yoga Pants
1. High Heat Causes Elastic to Snap
When exposed to extreme heat, fabrics can shrink, and elastic can easily snap. This applies to heat from both the washing machine and the dryer. Ever seen pieces of broken elastic on the surface of your clothing? That’s what’s known as “elastic stubble” and it usually means the item will eventually become even looser.
2. Your Yoga Pants Can Become Transparent
If you keep stretching out your leggings and wearing them, they may begin to become sheer. Leggings should always maintain their opacity and never be see-through. However, the fabric can become worn out over time if it isn’t cared for correctly, resulting in leggings becoming translucent.
3. The Results May Not Be What You Want
It’s unlikely that your yoga pants are loose everywhere. Perhaps they’re too baggy around the butt or knees but fit perfectly on the waist. However, when you start shrinking them, the process won’t just target those specific areas.
It’s a gamble when it comes to shrinking yoga pants through a washing or drying cycle – you can’t target specific parts of the garment. You could end up with a waist that’s too small, while the knees and bottoms are still too baggy.
The bottom line is: There’s no guarantee that you will get the exact result you are looking for. You may end up with something that still doesn’t fit but in a different way.
Some Important Tips for Keeping Your Yoga Pants Tight for a Long Time
Yoga pants have become a wardrobe essential for many, but they can be frustrating when they start to lose their shape. With repeated use, yoga pants are prone to stretching out. Once you have successfully shrunk your old baggy Yoga pants or brand-new ones, follow the tips below to keep them tight and in perfect shape for an extended period.
1. Avoid Using Fabric Conditioners
Fabric conditioners/softeners, as the name implies, soften your clothes, however, when it comes to activewear items such as Yoga pants. This is because fabric conditioners can loosen the compression of your Yoga pants, making them less supportive. Additionally, fabric conditioners contain silicone which can make your Yoga pants waxy and slippery, causing them to slide off easily. Furthermore, fabric conditioners can clog the fabrics of your clothes, blocking sweat, dirt, and bacteria. This can prevent your Yoga pants from wicking moisture, making them uncomfortable. Therefore, it is best to avoid using fabric conditioners on activewear items.
2. Use an Active Wash Sports Detergent
A good sports detergent is the best way to clean your Yoga pants. Not only does it remove germs, body oils, and stains, but it is also specifically designed for the tightly knitted fabrics of your activewear. This ensures that your Yoga pants remain soft and comfortable. When using regular detergent, be sure to use it in moderation. Too much detergent can make your Yoga pants feel stiff and irritate your skin.
3. Wash your Yoga Pants as Frequently as your Underwear
Yoga pants are worn close to the skin (especially the groin), allowing them to absorb sweat and germs quickly. Yoga or workout pants are made to wick away moisture, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be washed frequently. There are no hard-and-fast laws regarding how many times you should wear your Yoga pants, but as a general rule of thumb, it’s preferable to wash them after one use if you work up a sweat. You can get away with wearing them up to three times before washing them if you don’t do any physical activity. It’s also crucial to avoid letting sweaty clothes remain in your gym bag or laundry hamper for an extended period since this can cause germs and worsen the odor.
4. It’s best to use a cool wash cycle and avoid hot water
Hot washing machine cycles are great for tough fabrics that can take it and need extensive cleaning. But most stretchy fabrics need a softer touch. This is because elastics can break down and become brittle under high washing machine temperatures, and Yoga pants, sports bras, and wireless bras have a lot of stretches. Not only can this cause the elastics to break, but it can also make your beloved Yoga pants look faded and worn out. Stick with the cold wash cycle to keep your stretchy garments looking their best. This will help preserve the elastics and keep your clothes looking vibrant and new.
5. Prevent letting them from getting tangled up in the washing machine
Yoga pants should not be stretched out in the washing machine, so it is best to wash them with other clothes of the same weight, such as underwear, t-shirts, etc. To ensure that the Yoga pants do not get tangled with bulkier or heavier items, such as bedding, towels, or sweaters, it is recommended to place them in a mesh bag before washing. This will help to protect the fabric and keep the Yoga pants from stretching out.
6. Wash and dry them in a mesh bag
Washing them in a mesh bag is the best method to prevent stretching. This will protect them from rubbing against other clothes, getting twisted up in stuff, etc.
You can also keep them in a mesh bag for drying. Or, lay them flat and let them air-dry naturally.
7. Avoid hanging your Yoga Pants to dry
Avoid hanging them with a hanger or clips to ensure your Yoga pants remain in great shape. Instead, lay them flat on a clean surface to air-dry. This will help prevent the fibers from becoming overstretched. Additionally, air drying your Yoga pants can help to reduce the number of wrinkles and static cling. But if you must hang them, let them drape rather than hang them tightly.
8. Wash Them Separately
Unlike everyday clothes, Yoga pants are designed exclusively for Yoga and other activities and are made of unique fabrics. Therefore, placing a laundry load in the washing machine only for your sportswear is recommended. Doing this will help you save money on sports detergent and ensure that fabric softener is used on your other clothes. Additionally, it will prevent cotton fibers from sticking through the fabric of your sports bra and Yoga pants, thus preserving their quality and longevity.
9. Wash After Wear
It may seem logical to avoid washing your Yoga pants frequently to avoid loosening them. However, tight-fitting clothes such as Yoga pants need to be washed after every use to ensure your health and hygiene. Sportswear, in particular, needs to be washed after every wearing since you sweat on them. When you sweat on tight-fitting clothes, germs, and yeast can thrive on them and cause skin irritation, foul odor, and even infections. To avoid this, washing your Yoga pants immediately after each use is important. This will help keep your Yoga pants in good condition and prevent health issues.
10. Remove the Yoga pants from your bag or car
To prevent bacteria and yeast from thriving on your sweaty Yoga pants and other activewear, it is crucial to wash them regularly. If you lack time to wash them, hang them in a well-ventilated area to allow them to air-dry. Additionally, avoid storing them in a confined space such as a bag or car, as this can create a warm and humid environment that encourages the growth of bacteria and yeast.
11. Follow the care label
Yoga pants and other sportswear are made from various synthetic and unique fabrics, so it’s essential to read the care label to learn how to take care of them. To maintain their optimal appearance, refrain from laundering in high temperatures and avoid machine drying. If they start to lose their tightness, you can try the primary trick to shrinking your clothes by applying heat. To do this, turn the garment inside out and place it in the dryer on a low heat setting for a few minutes. This should help to restore the fabric’s original shape and size.
12. Wash from the inside out
Yoga pants benefit significantly from being washed inside to preserve the fabric’s color. Furthermore, it makes it simpler for the detergent to reach the fabric’s dirtiest parts, ensuring a deep clean.
13. Avoid using the dryer at all costs (Even Medium Heat)
Drying machines are a definite no-go for your Yoga pants. Instead, opt for air drying. This is because the heat from dryers can cause damage to the elastic in your Yoga pants, leading to them becoming stretched out and eventually unusable. Air drying is the best option to keep your Yoga pants in the best condition.
By following these tips, you can help extend the life of your yoga pants and keep them looking great.
When to replace your Yoga pants? Alternative solutions for baggy Yoga pants
As a Yoga enthusiast, you’re probably aware that having the right equipment can significantly impact your Yoga practice. However, even the best Yoga pants can lose their shape and fit over time. So when should you replace your Yoga pants? The answer depends on a few factors.
- First, consider how often you practice Yoga. If you’re a daily practitioner, you may need to replace your Yoga pants more frequently than someone who only practices once a week.
- Another factor to consider is the quality of your Yoga pants. High-quality pants are designed to last longer and maintain their shape better than lower-quality options. If you invested in a pair of premium Yoga pants, you might be able to wear them for years before needing to replace them.
If you’re noticing that your Yoga pants are starting to look baggy or lose their shape, it may be time to consider some alternative solutions.
- Try wearing a tighter-fitting pair of shorts or leggings underneath your Yoga pants to provide extra support.
- Another option is to invest in a pair of compression Yoga pants designed to hug your body and provide extra support. If you’re looking for a stylish look, try getting a pair of over the heel Yoga pants.
Ultimately, the decision of when to replace your Yoga pants is up to you. If your current pair is no longer providing the support and comfort you need, it’s time to start exploring other alternatives & varying styling options for yoga pants.
Looking for the perfect pair of Yoga pants to wear while working out or lounging around? Look no further, ladies! Feast your eyes on these amazing Yoga pants styles here that cater to your unique preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you shrink Yoga pants in the wash?
It depends on what they’re made of, but many Yoga pants will shrink in hot water. A hot wash and dry cycle work well for fabrics like nylon, polyester, and spandex, but Lycra is an exception.
How do you fix Yoga pants that are too big at the waist?
If the elastic is damaged or simply too big, you can cut a slit in the waistband and insert a new, smaller elastic band. Tie it or sew it together at the desired tightness.
How to fix Yoga pants that are too long?
Hemming the Yoga pants is a simple remedy. If you don’t have sewing skills, a tailor can complete this task quickly and affordably for you. The hems can also be folded and fastened using fashion or fusible fabric tape.
Hopefully, now you have some idea on how to shrink Lululemon Yoga pants or how to shrink Victoria’s Secret Yoga pants (if you have one) back into their original shape and the amount of shrinkage needed for Yoga pants based on their fabrics.
Shrinking Yoga pants is a relatively simple method that can be done conveniently in your own home. Depending on the Yoga pants’ material, the shrinkage can vary. However, washing and drying the pants in hot water should be enough to shrink them back to their original shape. With this knowledge, you can confidently shrink your Yoga pants and enjoy the perfect fit.
So, don’t wait any longer and start shrinking those baggy Yoga pants!