Kundalini is a Sanskrit term that translates to coiling like a snake, referring to coiled energy housed in the body. Kundalini Yoga is a type of yoga that focuses on awakening energy within the body. While this type of yoga can be beneficial, postures and movements can also be dangerous if not performed correctly.
Like when starting anything new, you want to be informed of potential risks involved. Why is Kundalini Yoga dangerous and some of the potential risks involved, are article discussed in the article. Let’s also understand why it is important to have proper guidance and instruction before beginning the ancient practice of Kundalini Yoga.
Benefits of Kundalini Yoga
Kundalini yoga is an ancient yoga practice that originates in India and is designed to awaken and loosen the energy coiled at the base of the spine known as Kundalini. While there are many different schools of thought on Kundalini yoga, the general idea is that by awakening this energy, it will rise through the 7 chakras (energy centers) and eventually reach the crown chakra, leading to a state of enlightenment. Kundalini Yoga uses a combination of techniques such as deep breathing, chanting mantras, holding mudras, and a couple of physical poses. This practice dates its origins to more than a 1000 years back in history and has also had its mention in the sacred Hindu texts called Upanishads.
What are the 7 Chakras?
Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning “wheel” or “turning” and refers to the seven powerful energy centers in your body. There are seven major chakras, each one located at a different point along the spine.
The crown chakra, located at the top of the head, is associated with the color violet or white. The crown chakra is responsible for your connection to the divine, your spirituality, and your ability to think clearly.
The third eye chakra is situated in the center of the forehead and connected to intuition, insight, and wisdom.
The throat chakra is found at the base of the throat and is associated with the color blue and the element of ether.
The heart chakra is located in the center of the chest. It relates to the color green.
The solar plexus chakra is located just below the breastbone. The color yellow and the element of fire are closely connected to the solar plexus.
The sacral chakra is located below the navel and is associated with the element of water.
Finally, the root chakra at the base of the spine is associated with the element of earth and the color red. The root chakra gives a sense of being grounded and connected to the earth.
Aligning your chakras is part of the goal of Kundalini yoga. However, there are some risks associated with this practice. The Kundalini energy is a powerful force and if not properly channeled, can lead to physical and mental health problems.
That being said, if you are interested in exploring Kundalini yoga, it is important to do so under the guidance of a qualified teacher who can help you safely navigate this potentially transformational journey.
Why is kundalini yoga dangerous?
Kundalini yoga is a type of yoga that emphasizes the awakening of Kundalini energy, which is said to be located at the base of the spine. While this practice can have some benefits, it can also be dangerous if not done correctly.
One of the dangers of Kundalini yoga is that it can cause mental and emotional imbalances. If the Kundalini energy is not released properly, it can get trapped in the body and cause ailments such as anxiety, depression, and OCD.
Another danger of Kundalini yoga is that it can physically injure the spine and nervous system. This occurs because Kundalini energy is a powerful force, and if it is not relieved slowly and carefully, it can cause serious damage.
Mental Health Warnings
Frightening and anxiety-provoking experiences can arise because Kundalini Yoga brings up raw emotions. Emotions can range from being frustrated by practicing for months and not experiencing anything to having a full-fledged psychotic episode brought on by the intense experience.
The adverse effects of Kundalini yoga can be similar to the symptoms of a panic attack or as severe as a bad trip on LSD. Some people experience altered symptoms from the technique for hours and days, whereas others may experience it for years. To avoid these effects, you need to find a true master teacher.
Kundalini yoga can also lead to spiritual problems. If you are not ready to handle the powerful energy that is unleashed during this practice.
Physical Health Warnings
Like any physical activity, you want to make sure you are physically able to perform the movements without injuring yourself. Being mindful and self-aware of your limitations is important when learning a new yoga practice.
Be careful if you experience any of the following:
- Trouble breathing
- Joint pain or muscle cramps and spasms
- Problems with Balance
- Injured or under the care of a doctor
- Pregnant or trying to become pregnant
Overall, Kundalini yoga is a powerful tool that can be used for good or ill. It is important to understand the risks before undertaking this practice.
The Safe Practice of Kundalini Yoga
Kundalini yoga is safe and healthy when practiced correctly and under the guidance of a qualified instructor. There are many benefits to practicing Kundalini yoga, including increased physical and mental well-being. When practiced correctly, Kundalini yoga can be a very powerful tool for self-transformation, spiritual awakening, and even enlightenment.
Find the Right Kundalini Yoga Teacher
When exploring the world of Kundalini Yoga, it is important to find a qualified and experienced teacher. Many teachers claim to be able to offer Kundalini Yoga instruction, but not all of them are created equal. You must do your research and find a teacher who has the experience and qualifications to help you safely navigate this type of yoga.
There are some dangers associated with Kundalini Yoga, which is why it is so important to find a qualified teacher. One of the most dangerous aspects of Kundalini Yoga is the potential for mental and emotional instability. This can happen if the practitioner does not have a solid foundation in their practice. If you try to push yourself too hard, it can cause significant harm. A qualified teacher will be able to help you avoid these mistakes and ensure that your practice is safe and effective.
Another danger associated with Kundalini Yoga is the possibility of physical injury. This type of yoga can be quite physically demanding, and if you are not careful, you could injure yourself. Once again, a qualified teacher will be able to help you avoid these risks by providing guidance and support.
Accommodation equipment and tools like stability blocks and pillows can help you avoid injuring yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask your teacher for recommendations for resources and tools to help you stay safe and injury-free.
If you are interested in exploring Kundalini Yoga, make sure that you find a well-qualified teacher and practitioner.
The Benefits of Kundalini Yoga
With all the scary stuff all over the internet, you might wonder if its all that bad about kundalini yoga practices. But don’t worry, we are here to unveil the brighter side and tell you that Kundalini yoga is a much stricter and disciplined practice amongst all its variants as it works on tapping the dormant energies and emotions hidden deep inside you. Once you find the right guru, you are all set to embark on a different journey of your life! Let’s go through some of the benefits of kundalini yoga here:
- Increase in compassion
- Develops mindfulness
- Clears thought process
- Reduces in stress levels (As proved in the 2017 study, kundalini yoga can have quicker impact on stress reduction)
- Helps memory enhancement and improves cognitive function (As proved in a 2017 study, kundalini yoga has much better results when compared to other mediums)
- Lowers Anxiety (As proved in the 2018 study, kundalini yoga can reduce the symptoms of anxiety)
How to do the Kundalini Meditation?
We would recommend you to look for a teacher rather than learning to practice this powerful tool online. However, the below steps indicate the process briefly.
- Wear a comfortable outfit
- Sit in a relaxed manner and prepare you body for a good meditative experience
- Close your eyes and focus on your third eye chakra
- Start focussing on the chosen mantra silently inside your head.
- Put in efforts for a conscious breathing pattern
- Once you settle in, add the mudras (taught by your teacher)
- Pay attention to your breathing segments, patterns, and stay focused
- Continue for a comfortable period ranging from 5 to 8 minutes
- End your session with a relaxed breathing
Is Kundalini Yoga really dangerous?
The answer to this question is both YES and NO! Kundalini Yoga as mentioned earlier in this article is a powerful tool that has to be learnt and practiced under the guidance and support of an expert teacher. Powerful techniques tend to tap energies stored and hidden deep inside our body. It could cause subtle tingling sensations or even long-term negative effects which vary from person to person. In simple terms, it is like deep cleaning your house, there is a lot of dirt and grime that comes to visibility when you start but do you fear the superficial dirt and stop cleaning your house? No right! Similarly, kundalini yoga can create initial disturbance only to give you a better version of yourself. All you need to do is to be aware of the intense energies that you are going to tap and prepare yourself mentally and physically for it.
What are the common myths?
Some of the most common myths of kundalini yoga are listed and busted here:
- Kundalini is dangerous – Rather than saying dangerous we would prefer calling it a lot more intense and that it has the potential to release untapped energies within you. For the record, nobody has ever lost their mind practicing kundalini or anything similar has been scientifically proven.
- Kundalini relates to religion – The practice of kundalini is not religion specific and can be a tool for everyone out there in the world. Though there could be references to a spiritual connection, it doesn’t necessarily emphasize a particular deity. So, you are free to connect to anything that you consider as supreme such as nature, universe, spirit etc.
- Kundalini could be scary – Fear is usually associated with uncertain or unknown. With so many myths and scary content online it is obvious to carry some preconceptions about the practice which could lead to a sense of nervousness even before you experience the reality.
- Kundalini mandates wearing a headgear – Covering the crown chakra is a means to retain your sacred and personal energy within you, and to prevent exposing it to divine energy. However, this is not mandatory according to a few experts, and one can choose to wear a cloth to cover the head or not.
- Kundalini is all about sex – No, it isn’t! When practicing kundalini there is a great chance that your energy gets tapped and you begin to experience feeling in an amplified manner. These could be any emotions such as happiness, sadness, anger, or even sexual arousal. It depends and varies a lot between every person practicing it.
- Kundalini can spoil your relationships – It is upto you to understand yourself and contain your emotions isn’t it? Just because your emotions are amplified you must not go around disturbing the peace of your friends and family. If you do so, you might definitely end up hurting their feelings and spoiling your relationships. While kundalini might provoke you, it is necessary for you to keep you responses with others under check.
Hopefully, this article explained why Kundalini Yoga has the potential to be dangerous. The main reason is because of the powerful energy it produces that can cause serious health problems if not done correctly, and even when done correctly, there are still risks involved. You need to be aware of these dangers before you decide to try Kundalini Yoga so that you can make an informed decision about whether or not it’s right for you.
With proper teaching, guidance, and equipment, Kundalini Yoga can unleash the inner potential and bring in a great level of enlightenment.
Comments are closed.